London (any) To Birmingham (any) Train Journey Information
- Train fares from£5.00
- Trains per dayAround 161
- Changes3 Changes
- Average journey time1h 58m
- Fastest route1h 21m
- Train operatorsAvanti West Coast, Chiltern Railways, CrossCountry, Great Western Railway
London (any) To Birmingham (any) Train Times
- 07:452 Changes10:12London MaryleboneBirmingham Moor Street2h 27m
- 07:52Direct10:43London EustonBirmingham New Street2h 51m
- 08:24Direct11:06London EustonBirmingham New Street2h 42m
- 08:252 Changes11:12London MaryleboneBirmingham Moor Street2h 47m
- 08:50Direct10:45London EustonBirmingham New Street1h 55m
- How long does it take to travel from London (any) to Birmingham (any) by train?It takes around 1 hour 58 minutes by train from London (any) to Birmingham (any). Bear in mind that the journey time may be a little longer on weekends and holidays.Average journey time1h 58m
- How much does the train from London (any) to Birmingham (any) cost?Train tickets from London (any) to Birmingham (any) cost as little as £5.00 if you book in advance, and the train fares are often higher when purchased on the day. Ticket prices also vary depending on the time of day, route, and class you book.Train fares from£5.00
- What is the fastest journey from London (any) to Birmingham (any) by train?The fastest train will get you from London (any) to Birmingham (any) in 1 hour 21 minutes. The slowest service is the late-evening departure which takes nearly 07 minutes travelling at a slower pace throughout the journey.Fastest route1h 21m
- What time does the last train from London (any) to Birmingham (any) leave?The last train from London (any) to Birmingham (any) departs at 23:30. Don’t miss it!Last train23:30
- When can I catch the first train from London (any) to Birmingham (any)?The first train leaves London (any) at 05:31. Book in advance to save yourself some time in the morning.First train05:31
- How many trains a day are there from London (any) to Birmingham (any)?On an average weekday, around 161 trains travel from London (any) to Birmingham (any). The first train departs London (any) some time after 05:31 with departures continuing at intervals, until 23:30.Trains per day161
- Buying your train ticket from London - Birmingham 3 weeks in advance means you can save on average up to 38% compared to the price available on the day of departure.
- If you book a ticket London - Birmingham with 2 months in advance you save up to about 38% compared to the initial price.
- By booking 3 months in advance, you could save up to 38%.
- On Trainpal you can find all offers, train times and the cheapest tickets for train travel.
London (any) To Birmingham (any) Train FAQs
London To Birmingham Train
Birmingham is the second largest international city in the United Kingdom after London. Its population and area are second only to London. It is located in the center of England, on the main railway line from London to Liverpool, with well-developed transportation links. The transportation in the Greater Birmingham area is convenient. The national infrastructure projects here include a £40 billion high-speed rail project that directly connects Birmingham and London; a £600 million railway station expansion project and a £33 million runway extension at Birmingham airport project.
London To Birmingham Train Times Information
Birmingham is 120 miles (193 kilometers) northwest of London via the M1 and M6 motorways. Trains to Birmingham depart from London Euston or London Marylebone every ten minutes on average. The journey takes one and a half to two hours, although some indirect routes do take longer. It is possible to travel from London to Birmingham without having to change trains. The first train from London to Birmingham departs at 04:34. The last train from London to Birmingham departs at 23:35. No sleeper services are available. There may also be fewer services on weekends and public holidays. Trains terminate at either Snow Hill or New Street station in Birmingham. Services are run by Avanti West Coast (formerly Virgin Trains), Chiltern Railways and West Midlands Railway.
Avanti West Coast (formerly Virgin Trains) offers frequent direct services between London and Birmingham. While on board, travelers can access the internet through Avanti West Coast (formerly Virgin Trains)'s wireless connection; this service is free for first-class ticket holders and available for a nominal fee to standard fare passengers. Chiltern Railways offers quiet zones and provides catering services on most trips between Banbury and Birmingham Moor Street.
The quickest way to get from London to Birmingham is to take the train, which at its fastest will only take about 1 hour 30 minutes. However, some trains can take as long as 2 hours. The journey time may be longer on weekends and holidays.
Departure train station: London Euston.The majority of trains to Birmingham from London depart from Euston Station, north of the city center, connected by Underground services from Euston Square and buses from the station terminus. Additional trains leave from Marylebone Station, about a mile west of Euston, with Underground connections from nearby Baker Street.
Arrival train station: Birmingham New Street. New Street Station is located on the southern side of the city center, with its own stop on the Midland Metro, taxi ranks, and local bus services. It is a ten-minute walk east from New Street to Moor Street Station, where Chiltern Railways services from London arrive.
The best way to find a cheap fare is to book your ticket as far in advance as you can and to avoid traveling at rush hour. Train tickets from London to Birmingham can start from as little as £6.40 when you book in advance and are usually more expensive when purchased on the day. Prices can also vary depending on the time of day, route, and class you book.
The rule of buying in advance to save money is not only valid when booking a flight but also for train travel. Train tickets are generally on sale 6 months before the departure date. Some train booking tips from us:
- •Save up to 90% with powerful split-ticket!
- •Enjoy deals and vouchers, save on every booking!
- •Want 1/3 off tickets? Buy a low-price Railcard!