London To Birmingham Train Journey Information
London To Birmingham Train Times
- 05:312h 13m1 Change07:44London EustonBirmingham New Street
- 05:352h 39mDirect08:14London EustonBirmingham New Street
- 06:041h 59mDirect08:03London MaryleboneBirmingham Moor Street
- 06:101h 35m1 Change07:45London EustonBirmingham New Street
- 06:161h 32mDirect07:48London EustonBirmingham New Street
- Q:How long does it take to travel from London to Birmingham by train?Average journey time1h 58mAverage journey time1h 58m
- Q:How much does the train from London to Birmingham cost?Train fares from£6.00Train fares from£6.00
- Q:What is the fastest journey from London to Birmingham by train?Fastest route1h 16mFastest route1h 16m
- Q:What time does the last train from London to Birmingham leave?Last train23:42Last train23:42
- Q:When can I catch the first train from London to Birmingham?First train05:31First train05:31
- Q:How many trains a day are there from London to Birmingham?Trains per day128Trains per day128
- Q:Which train company operates London to Birmingham?Train operatorsAvanti West Coast, Chiltern Railways, CrossCountry, West Midlands TrainsTrain operatorsAvanti West Coast, Chiltern Railways, CrossCountry, West Midlands Trains
London To Birmingham Train FAQs
London To Birmingham Train
Birmingham is the second largest international city in the United Kingdom after London. Its population and area are second only to London. It is located in the centre of England, on the main railway line from London to Liverpool, with well-developed transportation links. Transportation in the Greater Birmingham area is convenient. The national infrastructure projects here include a £40 billion high-speed rail project that directly connects Birmingham and London; a £600 million railway station expansion project and a £33 million runway extension at Birmingham airport project.
London To Birmingham Train Times Information
Birmingham is 120 miles (193 kilometres) northwest of London via the M1 and M6 motorways. Trains to Birmingham depart from London Euston or London Marylebone every ten minutes on average. The journey takes one and a half to two hours, although some indirect routes do take longer. It is possible to travel from London to Birmingham without having to change trains. The first train from London to Birmingham departs at 04:34. The last train from London to Birmingham departs at 23:35. No sleeper services are available. There may also be fewer services on weekends and public holidays. Trains terminate at either Snow Hill or New Street station in Birmingham. Services are run by Avanti West Coast (formerly Virgin Trains), Chiltern Railways and West Midlands Railway.
Avanti West Coast (formerly Virgin Trains) offers frequent direct services between London and Birmingham. While on board, travellers can access the internet through Avanti West Coast (formerly Virgin Trains)'s wireless connection; this service is free for first-class ticket holders and available for a nominal fee to standard fare passengers. Chiltern Railways offers quiet zones and provides catering services on most trips between Banbury and Birmingham Moor Street.
The quickest way to get from London to Birmingham is to take the train, which at its fastest will only take about 1 hour 30 minutes. However, some trains can take as long as 2 hours. The journey time may be longer on weekends and holidays.
Departure train station: London Euston. The majority of trains to Birmingham from London depart from Euston Station, north of the city centre, connected by Underground services from Euston Square and buses from the station terminus. Additional trains leave from Marylebone Station, about a mile west of Euston, with Underground connections from nearby Baker Street.
Arrival train station: Birmingham New Street. New Street Station is located on the southern side of the city centre, with its own stop on the Midland Metro, taxi ranks, and local bus services. It is a ten-minute walk east from New Street to Moor Street Station, where Chiltern Railways services from London arrive.
The best way to find a cheap fare is to book your ticket as far in advance as you can and to avoid travelling at rush hour. Train tickets from London to Birmingham can start from as little as £6.40 when you book in advance and are usually more expensive when purchased on the day. Prices can also vary depending on the time of day, route, and class you book.
The rule of buying in advance to save money is not only valid when booking a flight but also for train travel. Train tickets are generally on sale 6 months before the departure date. Some train booking tips from us:
- Buying your train ticket from London - Birmingham 3 weeks in advance means you can save on average up to 38% compared to the price available on the day of departure.
- If you book a ticket London - Birmingham 2 months in advance you save up to about 38% compared to the initial price.
- By booking 3 months in advance, you could save up to 38%.
On TrainPal you can find all offers, train times and the cheapest tickets for train travel.
Cheap train tickets from London to Birmingham tickets
If you’re looking for a return train journey, check out the train from Birmingham to London. TrainPal can save you money by finding you cheap deals on train tickets from London to Birmingham for your next vacation.
If you are planning to travel by train from London to Birmingham, find your one-way or round-trip tickets online and book with TrainPal. You can even use TrainPal App to get all travel-related information in one place, making your upcoming journey as smooth as possible.
What are my ticket options for this journey?
Looking for cheap train tickets on London to Birmingham routes? We've got you covered! Check out the suggestions below and discover tips you can use to save on your next train journey.
Advance train tickets
Anytime train tickets
1st Class train tickets
GroupSave train tickets
Off-peak and Super Off-peak train tickets
Return train tickets
Flexible train tickets
Looking for more Cheap train tickets ideas?
There are so many places all across the UK and Europe that you can travel to cheaply by train. Tap on the links below to find out more.
Your money-saving, rail & bus ticketing App