Edinburgh To London Train Journey Information
- Train fares from£35.00
- Trains per dayAround 34
- Average journey time6h 5m
- Fastest route4h 18m
- Train operatorsAvanti West Coast, London North Eastern Railway, CrossCountry, Grand Central Railway, Northern, Transpennine Express, East Midlands Railway
- How long does it take to travel from Edinburgh to London by train?It takes around 6 hours 5 minutes by train from Edinburgh to London. Bear in mind that the journey time may be a little longer on weekends and holidays.Average journey time6h 5m
- How much does the train from Edinburgh to London cost?Train tickets from Edinburgh to London cost as little as £35.00 if you book in advance, and the train fares are often higher when purchased on the day. Ticket prices also vary depending on the time of day, route, and class you book.Train fares from£35.00
- What is the fastest journey from Edinburgh to London by train?The fastest train will get you from Edinburgh to London in 4 hours 18 minutes. The slowest service is the late-evening departure which takes nearly 15 hours 6 minutes travelling at a slower pace throughout the journey.Fastest route4h 18m
- What time does the last train from Edinburgh to London leave?The last train from Edinburgh to London departs at 12:52. Don’t miss it!Last train12:52
- When can I catch the first train from Edinburgh to London?The first train leaves Edinburgh at 13:00. Book in advance to save yourself some time in the morning.First train13:00
- How many trains a day are there from Edinburgh to London?On an average weekday, around 34 trains travel from Edinburgh to London. The first train departs Edinburgh some time after 13:00 with departures continuing at intervals, until 12:52.Trains per day34
Edinburgh To London Train FAQs
Edinburgh To London Train
The distance between Edinburgh and London is about 332 miles. The average travel time between Edinburgh and London is 4h54 minutes. The quickest route time by train is 1hour59 minutes. The first train leaving Edinburgh is at 06:11, the last at 23:54. There is an average of 26 trains a day between Edinburgh and London, leaving approximately every 21 minutes.
Traveling From Edinburgh To London By Train
Take the train from Edinburgh to London and be in the Big Smoke in around four and a half hours (just enough time to watch a couple of movies or finish off that book on your bedside table!). Our top tip – make sure your train arrives into London Kings Cross as journeys into this station are generally shorter than those that arrive into London Euston. Either way, you’ll be well-connected by the London Underground and able to move on at ease.
To get cheap tickets from Edinburgh to London, make sure to book in advance, and try to travel during off-peak times. Before you know it, you’ll be speeding directly to the capital of England on a brand new high-speed Azuma train without breaking the bank! Amenities include free WiFi, power sockets by every seat, and electronic seat reservation displays. For those of you looking to travel in style, LNER’s Azuma First Class service offers a complimentary two-course meal, reclining seats, and even faster WiFi.
Once in London, head down the road for Regent’s Park, home to the London Zoo, or head wherever you like via the city’s extensive tube network! Buckingham Palace? Southbank? The Tower of London or Camden Market? There are various choices for you.
Edinburgh To London Train Tickets
Direct trains from Edinburgh to London have been found.
We usually find around 30 direct trains on the route from Edinburgh to London every weekday.
There are typically fewer departures at weekends, when we found around 27 departures.
More than one train company operates on the route from Edinburgh to London, so you’ll be traveling on one or more rail operators.
It is better to book earlier, and the cheapest tickets we've found for trains from Edinburgh to London are $27.72.
Trains departing 30 days in advance will cost around $44 while booking 7 days in advance the price is around $54. Booking on the day of travel is likely to be more expensive, so it is worth booking in advance if you can save money.
Trains in the UK usually open for booking for around 3 months in advance. If the booking is not yet open for your dates then you can set a booking alert to receive an email on the day that the cheapest tickets are released for your journey from Edinburgh to London by train.
For more information and money-saving tips on the UK and European train travel, read our train tickets guide. Search on Trainpal to check prices and cheapest train tickets from Edinburgh to London. Easily find the most attractive rates and choose your preferred route for your journey.